After introducing salted caramel whoopie pies into our lives, I knew I wanted to try new versions of this tasty treat. The problem? I was pretty sure I started out with the best one. I didn't know how I was going to top the salted caramel version, but I was willing to give it a shot. I browsed through recipes on my favorite foodie blog and finally came upon these: the oatmeal cream whoopie pies. I used to love those Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies as a kid, so why not recreate the homemade version? Yall, these were delicious. Parker and I couldn't stay out of them. I made them after I ran 10 miles so I wouldn't feel too badly about eating 4 in one sitting. They were that good!
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 cup oats (not quick or instant...the real deal)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
store bought vanilla frosting (you can make your own, but let's keep it simple)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine cake mix, oil, eggs, water, oats, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
3. Drop small spoonfuls onto a lined baking sheet (leave about an inch between each cookie) and bake 8-9 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and continue cooling for another 15 minutes.
5. Once cooled, place a small spoonful of vanilla frosting on the center of a cookie. Take another cookie and gently press together, causing the icing to spread to the edges.
Enjoy! This recipe makes about 12 whoopie pies, depending on your definition of a "small spoonful" ;)