With summer well on its way, I have been trying to make an effort to cook healthier foods. This doesn't mean I'm cutting out desserts or anything (that wouldn't lead to a very happy version of myself), but I am trying to make sure our dinners are nutritious so we feel a little less guilty about that slice of cake at the end. I was really excited to make this recipe because, not only is it a one pot meal (less dishes = happy wife), but it's chock full of veggies without skimming on the flavor. Win-win in my book. Parker and I really enjoyed this dinner! It's one of those meals that would be so easy to mix and match depending on what protein/veggies you are in the mood for. I'll be making it again!
3 red potatoes, quartered
2 Tbsp veggie oil
garlic salt, salt, and pepper, to taste
lean Italian chicken or pork sausage, sliced
2 Tbsp minced garlic
3 bell peppers (one red, one orange, and one yellow), diced
2 Tbsp Thyme
1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
1. Place oil and potatoes on high heat in a large skillet with a lid. Season with garlic salt and pepper. When the skillet starts to get hot, reduce heat to low and cook with the lid 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent potatoes from burning. Remove from heat and set potatoes aside in a dish.
2. Add sausage to the skillet and saute on medium low to cook until browned but not quite cooked through, or about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Season chopped vegetables with salt and pepper and add the bell peppers and Thyme to the skillet. Stir with the sausage. Continue cooking until the bell peppers are slightly browned.
4. Add zucchini and cook an additional 5 minutes, mixing everything together as it cooks.
5. Return the potatoes to the skillet and add salt and pepper as needed. Cover and cook 5 minutes more.