My mom happened to be in Virginia for her birthday, so I wanted to make her a special cake for the occasion! It's not every day you get to celebrate birthdays with family when the military is involved, so I was over the moon. I thought this lemon bundt cake might just be the perfect cake for a summer birthday, and it did not disappoint! This is one of those recipes I am going to keep for birthdays, BBQs, and summer get-togethers. If you are a lemon person, you will love it! It's pretty lemony, but I thought it was perfect.
1 box lemon cake mix
1 small box instant lemon pudding
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups powdered sugar
2 lemons, juice plus zest, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bundt pan well.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, puddings, oil, water, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and eggs with an electric mixer.
3. Pour mixture into your greased bundt pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
4. Let the cake rest in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a plate to finish cooling.
5. To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar with the zest and juice of one lemon with a spoon. If the glaze is too runny, add a little powdered sugar. If it's too thick, add a little lemon juice.
6. Spoon glaze over a mostly cooled cake. I like to spoon it over the cake while it is slightly warm so the glaze will melt and run down the sides of the cake.