If there is anything I have learned with this new baby on the way, it's that I have a lot to learn. I recently set out to register for baby gifts and was completely overwhelmed by the massive amounts of baby products out there. Where do you start?? I decided to go by category, and feeding was one that I took the most time considering. After all, my sole job is to keep this child alive, and feeding him is a great start to doing that. ;)
I am not sure if we are going to breastfeed or bottle feed or a combination of both. We have a goal, but of course I have little control over which route we are able to take, so I want to be prepared for all scenarios. After talking with other mamas and perusing Walmart's baby feeding section like it was my job, I decided on our feeding must-haves for this sweet little babe.
First, I looked at what we need in the feeding realm. Everything I came up with can be found at Walmart, so they really are a one stop shop for all things feeding! This is the list I came up with:
1. Nursing Cover- I wanted a nursing cover that was practical yet stylish. I think the perfect mix of those would be the nursing covers that double as infinity scarves! My favorite I have seen are the solid black infinity scarves- classic, practical, and cute too!
2. Nursing Pillow- This item is all about function. There are so many nursing pillows out there that look cute or have fun prints, but if it doesn't support the baby during feedings, it's useless. I gravitated towards the pillow that would mold to my body while still supporting the baby's weight.
3. Drying Rack- Since bottles need to be hand-washed, a drying rack is important! There are medium-sized racks and large racks. I went for the large rack that holds 24 bottles. The last thing I want is to wash a lot at once and not have a place to store them, so the larger option was for me.
4. Bottle Brush- These are very low-cost, and there didn't seem to be any distinguishing features between the different brands. For a case like this, I suggest going with the option that has the best reviews online at walmart.com.
5. Bibs- Who knew there were so many choices for bibs?! There are cloth bibs, plastic bibs, bandana bibs... the list goes on! I decided to register for a variety. When it comes to eating solids, I think we will really appreciate having the plastic bibs that curve up to catch food. When we are nursing, the simple cloth bibs will do the trick.
6. Burp Cloths- You may think burp cloths are all the same, but this is so not the case! I've learned with my nephew that the thicker cloths work best. They are more absorbant and will catch spit-up more quickly than the thinner options. Fun fact: a lot of people use cloth diapers as burp clothes! They are thick and absorbant, so give it try!
7. Bottles- The bottles are what needed the most thought and focus. I really wanted a product that would support both breast and bottle feeding, and I think I found just the one!
I chose the Playtex Baby™ Nurser® with Drop-Ins® Liners because this was the product that supports the baby's own natural feeding pattern and is conducive to both breast and bottle feeding. As the baby feeds, the soft disposable liner inside the bottle gently collapses to prevent air from mixing with the milk and getting into the baby's tummy. Air-free feeding helps to reduce colic, so this was an important feature for me!
I also chose the Most Like Mom® NaturaLatch® Nipple to go with the Playtex Nurser. It mimics the breast to help baby latch on naturally and promotes easy switching between breast and bottle feeding. These nipples are compatible with all of my Playtex bottles, and I really appreciate this because it means I don't have to buy special nipples for each bottle we own. Who has that much space in the kitchen cabinets, after all?
Stop by Walmart for your baby feeding needs, and check out the on-pack coupon for $3 off eligible 3-packs of Playtex Baby Bottles, including the Playtex Nurser 8 oz, Ventaire 9 oz, and Ventaire Colors.
Seasoned mamas: I would love to know your favorite feeding products for your little one!