For some reason, summer just makes me want Mexican food. Maybe it's that I want any and every excuse to serve chips and guacamole as an appetizer, but we have been doing Mexican food at least once a week lately. This was my first attempt at baked tacos, and I really liked them! I think we could do these baked tacos so many ways and am excited to mix it up in the future!
**1 lb chicken breast, cooked and shredded
2 (4.5 oz) jars of chopped green chiles
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, divided
12 green onions, chopped
a pinch of salt and pepper
8-10 taco shells (Stuff and Stand version)
**To get the perfect chicken for this recipe, I throw my chicken in the crockpot with a little chicken broth and shred it with a fork.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, green chiles, bell pepper, sour cream, half a cup of shredded cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Place green onions evenly in the bottom of your taco shells.
4. Fill each taco with the chicken mixture and stand up in the baking dish. Once all tacos are in the dish, sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the tops.
5. Bake about 15 minutes or until the cheese is slightly browned and bubbly. Watch your taco shells and don't let them get too brown.