One Pot Cheesy Chicken, Rice, and Broccoli Casserole
With moving in full swing, I've been looking for quick, easy meals to save time. When I see that a recipe is "one pot", I'm pretty much sold. As someone who hates doing dishes more than just about anything, the appeal of a meal that only uses one pot was way too strong to resist.
We really like this meal. It tasted like comfort food without being too unhealthy. Aside from the cheese, it's a really healthy meal! We used reduced-fat cheese and didn't feel badly at all when we went back for seconds. If you're in for a busy weeknight, try this recipe out!
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 1/2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 1/2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
a sprinkle of salt and pepper
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute olive oil and onions for about 2 minutes.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Once onions soften, increase the temperature to medium-high heat and add the chicken.
3. Brown the chicken pieces and add the garlic. Cook for another minute more.
4. Push chicken to one side of the pan and add the additional Tbsp of olive oil to the other side. Add the uncooked rice to the olive oil and saute for a couple of minutes.
5. Add chicken broth to the pan and bring the ingredients to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for about 12 minutes.
6. Add the broccoli to the chicken and rice mixture and stir to combine. Continue to cook covered for another 8 minutes on low or until the broccoli and rice are both tender.
7. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid, letting it sit for a couple of minutes until the cheese has melted.