The other day, I was sitting around and suddenly decided I wanted a lemon poppy seed muffin. I cannot remember the last time I had one, but it sounded so delicious and I needed it in my belly stat. I confirmed with Parker that he didn't have a drug test coming up (apparently the poppy seed sometimes yields a false positive on that...odd), and happily drove myself for the store.
These definitely hit the spot and were gone in about 3 days. We munched on these for breakfast, ate them as snacks, and even doubled them as dessert after dinner. So clearly, we hated them. Kidding kidding. We both loved them, and if you are looking for a yummy muffin recipe, then you will love these too. I will be making them again!
This recipe will yield 12 muffins.
2/3 cup sugar
zest +juice of 1 lemon
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin tin with muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, rub sugar and lemon zest together until fragrant. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In another bowl, combine the greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and melted butter.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir with a rubber spatula to blend. Do not over mix. Fold in the poppy seed and divide batter evenly among the muffin cups.
5. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes before removing to eat.